Tuesday, June 6, 2017

My reflection on the SIM encounter

First, I would just like to say that learning experiences like the SIM encounter are, to me, fantastic. Actually performing an assessment really helps us as a class to better understand them!  So, how do I think I did? I would describe my administration of the test as good, but not very good; I'll explain. I think that I did well being friendly and comforting- that's probably what I'm most proud of. I would say that my lack of nervousness was also a plus, albeit a surprising one. My main downfalls, or struggles, were three-fold. I didn't remember to apply germ x before beginning, my verbal and non-verbal communication gave away whether she got questions correctly, and I did not ask her if she had any questions/requests for me as I left. If I could do this assignment over I would make sure to apply germ x, be more neutral in my feedback to her responses, and ensure that I asked her if she had any questions or needed anything before leaving. As for surprises or things that triggered my curiosity, my client's chasing of rabbit trails was funny and presented a surprising challenge! Being a talker myself I had to make sure I didn't follow her to far down; I am well-versed in the world of rabbit trails!

As a whole, this experience taught me a lot, and there are several things I can hang on to from this. Two of those things are: prepare, but be yourself. You can learn the playbook cover to cover, but you have to be adaptable once it is game time- I think I did a decent job at that. Second, be encouraging, but not so much so that they feel patronized and/or your feedback gives answers away. I could have definitely done a better job at that. I look forward to future SIM opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment