Saturday, February 10, 2018

Professional Development Group Reflection



Today, Macy and I facilitated a professional development group on the topic of active listening. I really enjoyed this assignment and the discussion it stimulated. What I found most memorable about the group is how organic the conversation felt- despite the talking technically being for an assignment. To me, this made this assignment so unique. I wasn't just spitting info back out onto a worksheet or test sheet. I was putting my didactic boots on the ground and actually getting to see my education in action. All of the words I had been seeing on powerpoint slides began to form a cohesive story, and I was the main character. It all felt very natural to me which is saying something because I am a very nervous public speaker. This experience will help me as an ot, and, even sooner, at Greenhouse Ministries during my Level II FW this fall.

Now, onto the evaluation of my performance.

Introduction: I explained the purpose of the group, and did a warm up activity where each group member talked about their strengths and weaknesses, but I definitely could have been more clear in communicating expectations and outlining the structure of the group.

Activity: I did feel adequately prepared for the activity, gave clear directions, and used appropriate timing, environment and materials.

Sharing: I ensured that each member shared, showed engaged non-verbal and verbal communication and empathized with them.

Processing: I feel that I did good job eliciting the feelings on each group member and facilitating conversation between them.

Generalizing: I pointed out difference and similarities between group members, i.e., one group member chose to withdraw when she felt not listened to, while another group member chose to try harder to get the audience's attention.

Group motivation: I felt that Macy and I both did a good job of spurring group interaction and slowing it when the train got off the rails.

Limit setting: Because my leadership style was supposed to be more directive in nature, I think I could have been a little more, well, directive! However, I think side conversations were kept to a minimum, and the humor from these conversations fostered comfort in the group.

Application: I had each group member discuss how being a good active listener will help them as future occupational therapists.

Summary: I ended the group on time, but I think I could have done a more thorough job summarizing at the end and commending each group member's performance.



1 comment:

  1. I thank you for sharing your reflection, and I am happy that you feel that you learned from and enjoyed your group facilitation experience. I do hope that this will be a springboard to taking on more leadership roles in small group like this especially, I think that your quiet and approachable (fair and kind) style makes you naturally quite good in this context. Well written reflection.
    Ms. Sasse
    PS I also dig the expression/ metaphor "putting my didactic boots on the ground," I may have to borrow that with credit to you and with your permission, smiling.

    ReplyDelete