Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Music is good for the soul... and the brain

We all know music can take us somewhere, help us heal, and make us dance, but music can also help our cognition. A documentary I watched on Netflix highlighted the effects of music on a group of men and women with Alzheimer's disease. Individuals who didn't recognize their family or remember much about their lives were able to access those memories after hearing a song from those periods of their lives. Not only that, they were able to remember the lyrics from songs that they hadn't heard in decades. As a musician, I know that my fascination is a little biased, but I think music can be the key to memory and cognition doors that Alzheimer's, autism, or other ailments have locked away. Research into this area is still lacking, but more has been done in recent years. I would love to be involved in any way that I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment