Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Neuronote 3

In March, I volunteered for a special needs event at Hope church. It was a St. Patrick's day party (for which I could not find the name online,) specifically for adults with clogging, bingo, food, etc.; it was awesome. One question that I had when I left is: Why is there little cultural focus on adults with special needs? Much of the programs and events in our culture for those with special needs are tailored to kids. Though I definitely think those programs should continue and ideally grow, there needs to be a relatively equal amount of programs for adults. Regardless of age, people thrive on relationships and interactions. I saw that first-hand at this event. The adults that came in shy were engaged and joy-filled by the end of the event. Kudos to Hope for putting on events for the adults. More programs like that are certainly needed. I can't fathom the loneliness that a lot of those awesome adults must feel when their social interaction activities are limited so much, and that's the passion that prompted me to choose this for my neuronote assignment. It would be awesome to be involved in planning and facilitating events like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment