Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Neuronote 4

A couple weeks back, I attended the RKS art show and got to see the artwork of dozens of individuals. One of my favorites was called (I think,) "Dinosaurs Rock." Yes, yes they do! The artist used plastic gold stars for the spikes of their stegosaurus. Another painting was done entirely with someone's nose, and it was incredibly detailed with symmetry between strokes and leaves that took a very calculated effort. Another picture, which spoke to me the most, illustrated the process of someone deciding to rid themselves of their wheelchair and run freely away from their prior mode of transportation. You can't help but wonder how often thoughts like those run through people's minds when they are in a wheelchair. As someone who loves and participates in different types of art, I can't help but smile when I think about the opportunities that art affords us. Though some physical and neurological conditions may impede our human abilities,  art always finds an alternate route. Our pens, paintings, and perceptions will find alternate paths, and the outcomes, like the paintings at this art show, are beautiful. I look forward to encouraging and implementing art of various types in the therapy of my clients one day, and I hope to find ways to, like the RKS art show did, share that art with the rest of the world.    

No comments:

Post a Comment